FBW is a leading East African building consultancy. We are a UK based company providing multidisciplinary services throughout the region from our established offices in Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda.
Following a period of sustained growth we are seeking adventurous, dedicated and career minded professionals to strengthen our senior Architectural Team and work on responsive green urbanisation and architectural projects in the region with a focus on providing local solutions:
Senior Architect / Associate
If you have the ambition to make the change and the right qualities to make a difference in this challenging and rewarding role we would like to hear from you.
Job Title: Senior Architect / Associate
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Directors
Consults with: Directors, Professional and Technical Staff and Administration Staff
- Professional Registered (ARB UK or similar)
- Experience – 5 -10 Years Post Professional Registration (ARB UK or similar)
- Strong Design and Technical Skills
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Proactive and able to work at a high level of autonomy. Must be able to manage own time, and the time of others.
- Good organisational skills & ability to work under own initiative
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage and appraise own working practices
- Flexible to travel
- Computer aided drafting skills (AutoCAD, working knowledge of Revit, SketchUp, Photoshop would be an advantage).
General Terms of employment:
- Full time (40 hours per week, 8am – 5pm, Monday – Friday)
- 21 days annual leave, (not including public holidays)
- Competitive Salary, negotiable depending on experience
As a senior member of the office in Kampala the Senior Architect / Associate will lead and deliver the conceptual and technical phases of architectural projects managing the coordination and collaboration of the design team and other disciplines. The Senior Architect will undertake the Companies commissions well and profitably ensuring that our client’s requirements and expectations are met. Also, the Senior Architect / associate will support the directors with day-to-day office management as well as commercial decision making, strategy and the future planning of the business.
Primary Duties / Key Skills:
- Taking responsibility for leading and managing projects from inception, developing client briefs, from concept through design development, detail design and production information, specifications, tender process, carrying out inspections of projects on site, as defined by the RIBA Plan of Work.
- Ensuring the standards of deliverable across the office remains at the highest level.
- Manage project profitability and organisation of resources and coordination of projects, including managing variations of brief and instructions and action to recover additional fees..
- Drawing and presentational skills in tasks reflecting all stages of RIBA Plan of Work.
- Provide ‘hands on’ innovative design solutions and manage matters of design through design team members.
- Detail all architectural elements of the building, including primary research of products and details,
- Supervise and check design information produced by others
- Supervises the activities of others to meet deadlines and quality standards taking account of impact outside area of responsibility
- Maintain and improve the quality and efficiency of information produced by project teams
- Leading site visits and meetings
- Leading internal project planning and office management meetings and contributing to project and office management where appropriate
- Knowledge of technical standards, regulatory frameworks, and health & safety standards.
- Coach, mentor and assist less experienced staff
- Contribute to the management and development of the Company and the people
- Contribute to continual improvement and feedback
Staff Responsibilities and Non-staff Resources:
- Effectively manage own time which may be allocated to more than one project.
- Maintain and improve the reputation of the Company within the marketplace
- Required to supervise several small teams and co-ordinate available resources
- Uphold the ethos of the Company in terms of professional and design standards as set out in the Company Handbook.
- Understand the professional duty of care arising from the relationships between clients and architects, employer, and employee.
- Supporting the Practice in the development of new and existing client relationships.
- Office management
- Design and Technical issues
- Project Management / contract Administration
To apply for this position:
- Please submit a soft copy of your CV and portfolio with a cover letter to [email protected]