Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Reports to: Head of MEP department
Competency level: Professional Registered with ERB (Ug), KEB or IER
- Chartered Engineer
- Evidence of previous major project design experience in mechanical engineering
- Proven ability and knowledge of district or large heating systems
- Proven ability and knowledge of systems experience related to large-scale projects.
- Experience and understanding of integrated design in buildings
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of detailed co-ordination with other design disciplines
- Possess genuine interest and knowledge of sustainable design and low energy buildings
- Evidence of delivering projects from inception to completion
- Familiarity with site practices, and experience of inspections and surveys
- Operational understanding of QA systems
- Possess a good understanding of the commercial factors which affect design solutions
- Ability to manage and appraise own working practices & ability to work under own initiative
- Flexible to travel
The senior mechanical Engineer will be expected to be fully conversant in all aspects of mechanical design associated with Building Engineering Services including the site-wide authority supplies required for major construction sites and industrial premises. In addition to having excellent communication skills and a team-based work approach the occupier of the role should also be able to demonstrate their professional abilities in the following key areas of their expected fundamental Design Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary Duties / Key Skills:
- Competent in specification writing, design/drawing for all building types
- Knowledge of key health and safety issues and legislation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications – word, excel, etc.
- Must possess good knowledge and a competent ability in the use of their preferred internationally recognised Design Software
- Be conversant with up to date IT, technical methodology and information sources
- Possess a thorough understanding of the relevant and current British and industry Standards
- Possess the ability to prioritise project and team workload/s
- Possess the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Carry out feasibility and option studies; taking and developing client briefs and developing initial design concept proposals.
- Taking responsibility for leading and managing projects from concept, through design development, detail design and production information, specifications, tender process, carrying out inspections of projects on site.
- Production of all necessary design information for statutory planning and building control submissions/approvals.
- Manage project profitability and organisation of resources and coordination of projects, including managing variations of brief and instructions and action to recover additional fees.
- Management of multiple client appointments.
- Understanding of building technologies and environmental design and ability to employ good structural practice, construction techniques and processes relevant to the production of information encompassing all stages of the RIBA Plan of Work.
- Directing and managing other supporting staff in the delegation of work to allow the provision of assistance on projects as necessary.
- Liaising with and taking instructions and guidance from Head of Department in programming workload and managing projects.
- Uphold the ethos of the Company in terms of professional and design standards as set out in the Company Handbook.
- Understand the professional duty of care arising from the relationships between clients and design team, employer and employee.
- Supporting the Practice in the development of new and existing client relationships.
- Technical and Design Issues; Project Management / Contract Administration; and Office Management
To apply for this position:
- Please submit a soft copy of your CV and portfolio with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org